Archive for the ‘blog’ Category

Immigration Application Fee Will Be Increased on November 23, 2010

Effective on Nov. 23, 2010, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will increase the application fee by an average about 10%, except for Naturalization application. In recognition of the unique importance of naturalization, the final fee rule contains no increase in the naturalization application fee.

Also, there are 6 application/petition fees will be reduced:

  • Petition for Alien Fiancé (Form I-129F);
  • Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (Form I-539);
  • Application to Adjust Status from Temporary to Permanent Resident (Form I-698);
  • Application for Family Unity Benefits (Form I-817);
  • Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document (Form N-565);and
  • Application for Travel Document (Form I-131), when filed for Refugee Travel Document.

Sham Marriage – Never Do It!

Some people may be attempted to try sham marriage or fake marriage to immigrating into the USA for some reasons. The federal laws are tough on this kind of practice.

CNN recently reported about a sham marriage of a famous Mexican star Fernanda Romero.

The prosecutor in the case, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jim Left, said Romero could get between 15 and 21 months in prison if convicted, though such cases usually produce shorter sentences.

The case is unusual because marriage fraud charges are usually litigated by immigration authorities rather than prosecuted as criminal cases.

A federal complaint filed Thursday accused Romero of paying Ross, 28, to “marry” her on June 12, 2005, but alleges they never lived together as a couple.

On the other hand, some legal couples failed in their immigration cases only because of lack of facts and supporting materials that can prove their marriages are real. Consulting an experienced attorney can help you realize your immigration dream.

Timely Change of Address Report Is Very Important

Are you a foreign student with F1 visa or visitor with any visa or even just a green card holder?

Please remember that whenever you change your address in the United States, you must report the address change within 10 days. It is a misdemeanor crime to willfully fail to provide the USCIS with a written notice of address change (Form AR-11) within 10 days after remaining in the United States for 30 days or more.

You may find the needed form here: and complete it before sending to

Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Change of Address
P.O. Box 7134
London, KY 40742-7134

(for overnight or fast freight:
Change of Address
1084-I South Laurel Road,
London, KY 40742-7134
Please check again the address within the form for updates.)
As of this writing, the filing fee is still $0.  More info can be found at

USCIS: AR-11,Change of Address

(Please note that this is for information only. For personal legal advice, please consult your lawyer and contact us here.)

Contact Info

Law Office of Jessica Y. Meng
Silicon Valley Address:
4677 Old Ironsides Dr. Suite 350
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Tel: 408-986-9202
Fax: 408-986-9206
or Email Us for quicker response.

Language Switch 中英轉換
Subscribe to Our Mailing List

Powered by

Bookmark and Share